1. She has always been full of confidence
She got the chance to hit with John McEnroe when she was just 9 years old. After they left, she confided to her father, “I can beat that guy.” Now that’s the mentality that wins you 7 Grand Slams and 48 total titles.
2. Despite an amazing career, she never actually finished a year ranked #1
From 1999 to 2003 when she was regularly the top-ranked player, she always finished the year ranked 2nd or 3rd. Surprising, I know.
3. She has a degree in fashion design
You probably knew Venus was into fashion design with her funky tennis outfits and all the publicity, but you probably didn’t know she actually went back to school for it in 2007. She received her degree from the Art Institute of Ft. Lauderdale. She designs much of her fashion line, called EleVen.
4. She is the only person to beat Serena twice at the US Open
She did it in 2001 and 2005. This is equally impressive for Serena…
5. She could serve over 100 MPH by the age of 10
She used that massive weapon to go 63-0 in USTA junior matches that year, and turned pro when she was 13.